How would I know my elder child is feeling insecure because of a new baby at home i.e. how would recognize sibling rivalry?
- Your elder child may poke the baby’s face, irritate the baby, throw things or take things which are in baby’s hands.
- He would also try all forms of attention seeking behavior, since you would be busier and tired and will have less time for him.
- He may also start bedwetting, refuses to eat or even have sleep problems.
How can I deal with the problem of sibling rivalry?
- Make your elder child feel special and give him lots of attention.
- Tell him how much you love him.
- Don’t make him feel that you’re busy because of a new baby. This would make him more resentful.
- Let him know about the new baby during the pregnancy only and let him visit your baby in hospital.
- Encourage him to touch your new baby and talk to her. He would soon enjoy being the big brother.
- Show him the new baby is helpless and requires your help.
- Ask him help in taking care of the baby, So that he feels responsible.